Saturday, November 27, 2004

In case you were wondering how cool you are!

There is now a test!

I have to say, I'm really curious about what my result would be. I have a feeling I'd end up as an Medium Uncool but then the study authors would just re-define the rules of the game on me.

Here is a blurb from an article that is written by a woman convinced that she would be the most Low Cool person ever tested.

"So it was with a conflicted mind that I accepted an invitation from Steven Quartz, director of Caltech's Social Cognitive Neuroscience Lab, to take part in a study of cool. Unlike a mere written test, Quartz's experiment would use functional magnetic resonance imaging, fMRI, to measure my subconscious response to 140 different products and celebrities, each of which had been assigned a coolness rating from 0 to 5."
"Depending on how successfully my subconscious picked out the cool objects, Quartz explained, I would be classified as one of three types: High Cool (a "Trendsetter"), High Uncool (a "Critic"), or Low Cool. As far as I could make out, either of the first two categories would be an improvement on my current status. High Cools, I was told, had brains that lit up in response to cool objects. High Uncools reacted strongly to uncool objects; they're the snobby tastemakers. The last group, the Low Cools, was the one I feared. Low Cools had scans that came out almost entirely blank. It didn't matter whether they were looking at a picture of Michael Jackson or Mick Jagger. They were, in effect, cool-blind."
See the rest of the article here.
What do you think the test results would say about you?

No comments: