Monday, August 21, 2006

Lake Windigo Portage Swim

Last Tuesday I did a really fun open water swim that ended up being a little over 3 miles long. We (one other person did this with me and two people paddled kayaks as safety boats) swam a route that took us through two lakes and across two portages. You can see the route at this link - http://tinyurl.com/kd5nm

I wish we had brought a camera along as I'd love to post pictures but unfortunately we forgot about that. The swim was interesting for a number of reasons but the things that I remember most vividly are the beer-drinking, cigarette-smoking people hanging out on their pontoon boats at the first portage, the eriness of Lake Windigo with its extreme shallowness and aquatic plants that hug the surface, and the wind that had started to pick up out of the east when we got back into Cass Lake for the final stretch north.

I'm looking forward to doing this swim again next year and I'm thinking about what else I can add to it to make it even more of an adventure.

No comments: