Sunday, August 13, 2006

First Day of the Program at Unistar

Camp Unistar August 12-19
Harry Potter and Philosophy

Sunday Day One: The Sorting: Introduction, what is character?

Started off with a reading from one of the books regarding an interaction between HP and Dumbledore about the Mirror of Arasid, which shows you your greatest wish, “The happiest man on earth would be able to look into the mirror and see his reflection”.

Other introductory info provided about how the week will go.

Provided hand out titled “Is Ambition a Virtue? Why Slytherin Belongs at Hogwarts” from the book Harry Potter and Philosophy. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?z=y&ean=9780812694550&displayonly=TOC

What is your favorite thing about the books, favorite book, etc? For me it is the relationship between Voldomort/Death Eaters and Harry, Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoneix. They both need each other to define themselves. I think this translates to the world we live in.

The questions of
“What is evil?”

“How do people define evil for themselves?”

“Why is there apparent universal agreement that Voldomort and the Death Eaters are evil?”

The last 150 pages of book 6 were my favorite part. I’m not sure why yet but will re-read this week to see what jumps out. I think it has to do with the role of Snape and trying to figure out which side he is on. Is he really still loyal to Voldomort or is he a double agent and Dumbledore and Snape conspired to provide Dumbledore a way to go underground?

Everyone in the group shared their own answer to this question and the answers were a unique as the people in the group. Not one response was the same as the others. These introductions were a great way to build a group dynamic and set the tone for the discussion.

Three Harry Potter trivia questions:
What is quidditch? A game that the magical world plays played on brooms and a Snitch?
What are the names of the three balls? Quaffle, Snitch and Bluddger?

The name of the captain of the Holy Head Harpies? Gwenog Jones

What does the word Philosophy mena? Love of knowledge or wisdom.

Name a philosopher from one of these periods? Ancitnet, Midevil, Modern, 20th Century.

What does Epistemology mean? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology

Craig Provided a brief description of western philosophy. I missed most of this but here is a link to wikipedia about this topic that provides a lot of the same content. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Philosophy

Someone asked what deconstructionist means. Here is wikipedia’s definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconstruction

Metaphysics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics

Ontology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology

Next we performed our sorting. based on a series of questions on the back of one of the hand outs. Here were my answers highlighted in yellow:

1. I prefer making decisions: A after finding out what others think B without consulting others.
2. I prefer being called A Imaginative or intuitive B factual and accurate.
3. I prefer making decisions A about people based on facts and data B about people based on empathy and feelings
4. I prefer commitments A to occur if others want to make them B to be definite and to ensure they are made
5. I prefer A quiet, thoughtful time alone B Active, energetic time with people.
6. I prefer to A Use methods I know well to get the job done B think of new methods fordoing tasks.
7. I prefer drawing conclusions A based on logic and step by step analysis B based on what I feel from past experiences
8. I prefer A avoiding making deadlines B setting a schedule and sticking to it
9. I prefer talking A a while then thinking to myself B freely for an extended period, thinking later
10. I prefer A thinking about possibilities B dealing with actualities
11. I prefer being thought of A as a thinking person B as a feeling person
12. I prefer A considering all possibilities before making a decision B making quick decisions abased on the info at hand
13. I prefer A inner thoughts and feelings others cannot see B activities involving others
14. I prefer A the abstract or theoretical B the concrete or real
15. I prefer helping others A explore their feelings B make logical decisions
16. I prefer A change and keeping options open B predictability and knowing in advance
17. I prefer communicating A little of my inner thinking and feelings B freely my inner thinking and feelings
18. I prefer A possible views of the whole B the factual details available
19. I prefer using A common sense to make decisions B dada, analysis and reason to make decisions
20. I prefer planning A ahead based on projections B as necessities arise
21. I prefer A meeting new people B being alone, or with one person I know well
22. I prefer A ideas B facts
23. I prefer A convictions B verifiable conclusions
24. I prefer A using appointment books as much as possible B using appointment books as little as possible
25. I prefer A discussing new issues at length in a group B puzzling out ideas in my mind, and then sharing
26. I prefer A carrying out plans with precision B designing plans, not necessarily carrying them out
27. I prefer A logical people B feeling people
28. I prefer A being free to do things spur of the moment B knowing in advance what I’m expected to do
29. I prefer being A the center of attention B in the background
30. I prefer A imagining the nonexistent B examining details of the actual
31. I prefer A experiencing emotional situations B using my ability to analyze situations
32. I prefer starting meetings A at a prearranged time B when all are comfortable or ready

The results of this gives us a Myers Briggs types that can be mapped to houses

(Here is an example of one of the quizes online - http://quizilla.com/users/ReaderRavenclaw/quizzes/Hogwarts%20Sorting%20Hat%3A%20Based%20on%20Myers-Briggs%20Personality%20Typing)

I’m an INTJ

Last three letters of type
STJ = Hufflepuff
SFJ = Hufflepuff
NTP = Ravenclaw
NFP = Ravenclaw
NTJ = Ravenclaw
STP = Girffendore
SFP = Griffendore
NFP = Griffendore
NTP = Slytherin
NTJ = Slytherin

Here is more info about Myers Briggs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers_Briggs

No comments: